SPAIN     Sevilla


Sevilla had two mints, the old mint which operated from before 1497 until 1586 (upper location, approximate, outlined in yellow) and the new mint which functioned from 1586 to 1869 (lower location, outlined in yellow). Nothing remains of the old mint which had to be moved in 1586 to make way for the construction of the Lonja (today, Archive of the Indies, seen below part of the outlining).  However, many of the buildings of the new mint still remain and can be visited today.
                                                                                                                            
    GOOGLEmaps

La Casa de la Moneda de Sevilla fue una de las siete cecas principales de Castilla autorizadas a continuar después de 1497 por los Reyes Católicos, quedando el resto cerradas. No obstante, para encontrar la primera moneda acuñada en Sevilla, hemos de remontarnos hasta la época romana, en torno al 15 a.C. Más tarde, los visigodos acuñaron a partir del año 621, los árabes después de 1060, y los reyes cristianos desde 1252.

La Casa Nueva de la Moneda se construyó en las huertas de las Atarazanas, próxima al río y a pocos pasos de donde llegaban las flotas con los metales. La nueva fábrica quedaba a menos de 200 metros de donde estaba la vieja, y así a medio camino entre los muelles y la Casa de la Contratación, recorrido de los mercaderes de plata y oro, un gremio de señores que compraban lingotes de los pasajeros de los barcos y se encargaban de gestionar su acuñación en una casa de moneda. Durante el reinado de Felipe II, la Casa de Sevilla labró el 72% de toda la plata, y el 87% de todo el oro acuñado en la Península, dejando las otras fábricas casi sin trabajo. Se acuña abundante moneda de cobre, vellón, plata y oro, así como los resellos de 1636-1659. Se instalan molinos para acuñar vellón en 1661 pero son abandonados después de 1664. A partir de 1699 se acuña a volante, reconstruyendo los molinos para el previo laminado del metal.

La Ordenanza de 1730 para la centralización de las cecas elimina todas excepto las de Madrid y Sevilla, que acuñaría sólo plata y oro, y Segovia, que se dedicaría a labrar moneda de cobre. En 1855 se proyecta una nueva y gran casa de moneda en Madrid, y el cierre de las demás. En 1861 se inaugura la nueva fabrica madrileña y en 1869 se cierran las casas de Sevilla, Segovia y Jubia, vendiendo todas en pública subasta. La Casa de Sevilla fue dividida en tres partes y vendida en 1870: un total de más de diez mil metros cuadrados por cerca de 244 mil escudos. El viejo edificio ha estado en mal estado durante muchos años, siendo rehabilitado casi por completo ahora, convertido en residencias, oficinas, salas de exposiciones, y un bar con el nombre de “La Moneda”.

El viejo edificio ha estado en mal estado durante muchos años, siendo rehabilitado casi por completo ahora, convertido en residencias, oficinas, salas de exposiciones, y un bar con el nombre de “La Moneda”.


NEW MINT


Monumental entrance to the Seville Mint, constructed in 1763, reformed in 1894, and today practically the only part of the entire complex not yet refurbished.


Detail of the monumental entrance to the Mint, with the inscription “Royal Mint”.


Detail of the monumental entrance to the Mint, with its opening to Havana Street in the interior of the complex.


Detail of the passageway on the interior of the monumental entrance, where the guard station was located.


Detail of grillwork on the interior of the monumental entrance.


The bar-tavern “La Moneda” occupies the left-hand side of the entrance to the Mint, at the beginning of Havana Street.


The entrance to the bar was previously a smaller window, and not a door.


Night view of the bar “La Moneda”.


Entrance to the Mint complex (on right, with sign on left) on Admiral Lobo Street, which ends at the Gold Tower.


Entrance to the Mint complex on Admiral Lobo Street. This entrance marks the end of Habana Street, which begins at the monumental entrance visible at the end of the tunnels, and which crosses the entire complex.


View looking up the length of Havana Street, with the Royal Foundry on the left, and the metal scrap room and assay office on the right.


Detail of Havana Street, with the Royal Foundry on the left, and the metal scrap room and assay office, as web as living quarters of the founder, on the right.


Building of the foreman’s ovens, later foundry, on Matienzo Street. Today it contains exposition halls.


Detail of the building of the foreman’s ovens, later foundry, on Matienzo Street.


Matienzo Street, with the building of the foreman’s ovens on the left, and the ending of El Jovo and San Nicolas Streets, and a covered passageway of Havana Street, on the right.


Detail of one of the covered passageways of Havana Street, as seen from Matienzo Street, with the mint offices converted today into residences.


Looking through the covered passageway on Guines Street, towards the openning of Maese Rodrigo Street. The horse mill building is on the extreme right, while adjacent to the covered arch were the living quarters of the engraver (left) and guard (right). Today this entire section has been converted into residences.


Havana Street, looking towards the covered passageway of the monumental entrance. This street was historically called Of The Merchants, because gold and silver merchants had their ovens on the right and left sides.  The openning of Maese Rodrigo street is on the immediate right, while the covered passageway of Guines Street is on the left. Today this whole section has been converted into private residences and offices.


Detail of the covered passageway of Havana Street, which passes under the monumental entrance.


Havana Street and one of the buildings of the merchants ovens, one of which we will see behind the first door on the right in the next photos.


Detail of a patio of one of the merchants ovens.


Guines Street, with the Mill building on the left and foreman’s ovens on the right. The Mill building was constructed in 1689 in the center of a large patio, before which these ovens faced other similar ones on Matienzo Street. The covered passageway at the end of Guines Street opens onto the so called Corral of Segovia.


Corner of the Mill building (left) on Guines and El Jovo Streets. The covered passageway at the end of Guines Street opens onto the so called Corral of Segovia.


View looking up El Jovo Street, with the Mill building on the left and one of the buildings containing foreman’s ovens, later foundry, on the right. At the end of the street can be seen one of the foreman’s ovens on Matienzo Street.


View of the foreman’s ovens, later foundry, on El Jovo Street, looking towards the end of Guines Street.


Chimney above the foundry, previously foreman’s ovens, on El Jovo Street, with the top of the Giralda Tower on the left.


Detail of the position from where the previous two photos were taken, with the covered passageways of Havana Street.


View looking down Santander Street, previously of the Charcoal, with the monumental entrance to the Mint on the left, and the Silver Tower on the right.


View of the so called Corral of Segovia, with part of the medieval wall which enclosed the area (foreground). This area is where the living quarters for the Mint workers were previously located.


Detail of the archaeological ruin in the Corral of Segovia, which seems to correspond to the well of the second patio.


View of the Corral of Segovia, and the back wall of the building of the foreman’s ovens, later foundry with its chimney on the roof. The Giralda Tower can be seen on the horizon towards the left.


Main facade of the historic Atarazana - or ships warehouse - on Santander Street, previously of the Charcoal, which backs up against the Silver Tower and the Corral of Segovia. Closely related to the Seville Main facade of the historic Atarazana - or ships warehouse - on Santander Street, previously of the Charcoal, which backs up against the Silver Tower and the Corral of Segovia. Closely related to the Seville.


Interior view from the entrance, of the Atarazana, today converted into a restaurant.


View of the interior of the Atarazana towards the back door, which opens onto the patio of the Silver Tower.


Main facade of the Atarazana, with the Silver Tower directly behind.


The Postigo del Carbon penetrates the facade of the Atarazana, leading directly to the Silver Tower and its patio.

 


OLD MINT

Coining operations were moved to a new building which was constructed some 300 meters from the old mint. Today there is an open plaza and part of the Archive, in the space which the Old Mint occupied.  This Mint building was torn down in 1586 when the space it occupied was needed for the construction of the Indies Trade House (today the General Archive of the Indies).


View from the top of the Giralda Tower, of the location of the old Seville Mint, which was in operation until 1586. It was in what is today an open plaza area, in front of the Royal Alcazares (left), and the Cathedral (foreground), and had to be torn down when the construction of the Indies Trade House (today General Archive of the Indies) (right) invaded its space around the beginning of the 1580’s.


View of the location of the old Seville Mint, which was in operation until 1586. It was in what is today this open plaza area, in front of the Royal Alcazares (right), and the Cathedral (background), and had to be torn down when the construction of the Indies Trade House (today General Archive of the Indies) (left) invaded its space around the beginning of the 1580’s. The Giralda Tower, from where the other photo was taken, can be seen behind the Cathedral.


FRIENDS OF THE SEGOVIA MINT ASSOCIATION  © 2009