SPAIN     Segovia


Location of the new Segovia hydraulic rolling mill mint, founded in 1583, and the surrounding area which belongs to the property (outlined in yellow), in this satellite view taken during the summer of 2007, just after the start of the restoration project, when all the roofs had been removed.  Calle de la Moneda (Coin Street) is underrlined in red, and to the left the dam or weir and canal system can be seen.
                                                                                                                            
    GOOGLEmaps

While the “Old Mint” continued to operate, a new Mint - the Royal Segovia Coin Mill - was founded in 1583. The building was constructed by the famous architect, Juan de Herrera, and the machinery brought from Innsbruck, Austria, and installed and operated by German technicians. Silver coins were produced from 1586 to 1729, gold from 1607 to 1721, billon from 1597 to 1664, copper from 1602 to 1864, and bronze from 1866 to 1868. It was prohibited to produce silver or gold coins in Segovia after 1730. The roller-die method of coining was abandoned in 1772 in favor of screw presses, though the rolling mills were still used to flaten the copper strips.  In 1855 the eventual closing of the Segovia Mint was forseen in the Project for a big new Mint in Madrid. The Mint was finally closed in 1869, and in 1878 was sold by the State. The new owner converted the Mint into a flour mill, which continued operating until 1968. The building was acquired by City Hall in 1989 and on February 14, 2007, an extensive and all encompassing restoration project began to prepare the building for a museum on the history of coining technology.  More can be read about the Segovia mint on other sections of this web site.

 


Front entrance to the Mint on Calle de la Moneda (Coin Street), with the foundry building on the right.


Air view of the entire mint complex taken before the start of the restoration project.

View of the mint buildings with the walled portion of the city, and Cathedral, in the background.


View of the machinery building during the restoration project.


View of the area where the canals are located, under restoration.


Interior of the building being restored as a restaurant.


Aspect of the building under restoration.


Interior of the machinery building being prepared for the projected coining workshops.


Interior of the machinery building being prepared for the projected coining workshops.


Interior of the machinery building being prepared for the projected coining workshops.


Interior of the upper floor of the machinery building being prepared for museum displays.


Aspect of the north-west corner of the machine building which sits on the Eresma River.


Panoramic view of Segovia with the locations of the new mechanized mint (left) and the old hammer mint (right) shown by arrows.


The old hammer mint, founded in 1455 (outlined in yellow) was situated very close to the ancient roman Aqueduct.


Situation of the old hammer mint, of which no remains exist today.


FRIENDS OF THE SEGOVIA MINT ASSOCIATION  © 2009