SPAIN     Pamplona


The building of the old Pamplona Mint (outlined in yellow) is used today for offices, and can be visited.
                                                                                                                            
    GOOGLEmaps

The old Pamplona Mint was located in the building of the Chamber of Accounting since 1524, a structure apparently built in the 13th century. When both the Chamber of Accounting and the minting of coins were extinguished in 1636, the building was used as the headquarters of the Commission of Monuments in 1868, the first Museum of Navarra in 1894, headquarters for the University of Navarra in 1952, and in 1995 was converted once again for the offices of the reestablished Chamber of Accounting. The building today houses modern offices, is completely restored, and some parts, like the central patio, can be visited by the public.  The building today houses modern offices, is completely restored, and some parts, like the central patio, can be visited by the public.

 


Mint building - also known as Camara de Comptos (Chamber of Accounting) - at the confluence of San Francisco, Campana and Ansoleaga Streets (view looking towards Campana Street). The building is the only example of Civil Gothic architecture in Pamplona.


Mint building (right) seen looking towards San Francisco Street.


Gothic entrance to the old Mint building.


Coat of arms placed above the Mint entrance around the middle of the 18th century.


Detail of the coat of arms above the Mint entrance.


Vaulted access corridor from the main entrance to the patio.


Patio of the old Mint, as seen from the end of the vaulted access corridor from the main entrance.


Another aspect of the patio of the old Mint, as seen from the end of the vaulted access corridor from the main entrance.


Another aspect of the patio of the old Mint, looking towards the vaulted access corridor from the main entrance.


Detail of one of the walls of the patio.


Detail of the patio wall which contains the access to the vaulted corridor from the main entrance of the Mint.


One of the interior doorways of the building, with an old window or niche to the right.


Detail of the interior window or niche.


Detail of the coat of arms above the interior doorway.


Reverse side of the doorway with the coat of arms above, and another old doorway to the left.


Reverse side of the second doorway, with a grilled window to the right.


Round column in the interior of the building.


FRIENDS OF THE SEGOVIA MINT ASSOCIATION  2009