The mint in Jubia (La Coruña, Galicia) was located at the mouth of the Ria Xubia (outlined in yellow) and its powerful hydraulic system was fed from a large dam or weir across the river nearly one km up river from the mint (outlined in blue).
The Mint of Jubia was established in 1811 as a place for the Spanish crown to strike copper coins after the French army had invaded and occupied the mint in Segovia where all copper coins had been struck since 1730. Before 1811, the Royal Copper Factory of Jubia was located on this site since 1790. The Mint produced copper coins only from 1811 to 1869, when it was finally closed. Today the site is home to a large modern textile factory: “GALICIA TEXTIL, S.A”. A few Mint buildings still remain, but the copper rolling and milling building was located precisely where the textile plant has its main production building.
Entrance to what was the Jubia Mint, along side the bridge (lower right) over the mouth of the Xubia River, which empties its waters into the Ria (bay) of Ferrol. View taken from the observation platform atop mount Ancos looking southwest towards the city of Ferrol. On the lower left is Xubia, council of Neda, and towards the middle-right is Gandara, council of Naron.
The new buildings of the textile factory occupy the area where the metal rolling and coining buildings were historically located. The canal can still be seen just as it was during the operation of the mint, while the Xubia River runs parallel from the right to left among the trees in the background.
Entrance to the grounds of the old Jubia Mint, today GALICIA TEXTIL, S.A.
Bronze coat of arms which was above the entrance gate to the grounds during the Mint period.
The west pavillion, also housed housed mint workers and storage rooms, and is one of the other few buildings which remain from the Mint period.
The west pavillion, with the chapel and bell tower immediately to the right, both buildings which remain from the Mint period.
The dam - “PRESA DO REI” (King’s Dam) - just as it was during the days of the Mint, as seen from the opposite side of the river as the factory.
Detail of the plan of 1876, of the part which corresponds to the minting workshops, with the waterwheels on the left
Detail of the plan of 1876, of the part which corresponds to the dam and the beginning of the canal.
FRIENDS OF THE SEGOVIA MINT ASSOCIATION © 2009