SPAIN     Granada


The mint in Granada occupied the entire block formed by Portería Concepción, Bañuelo, Concepción de Zafra, and Carrera del Darro Streets (outlined in yellow).  It is directly across the Darro River from the spectacular Alhambra of Granada.
                                                                                                                               
    GOOGLEmaps

The major part of the city block which the Mint occupied is today an empty lot, where archaeological excavations are being carried out. Some original walls can be seen from the surrounding streets, but special permission is needed to enter the archeological digs.  Most of the Mint building was torn down in 1843, although a few original walls are still remaining, in spite of later structures.

 


The archeological remains of the Mint are being studied, and a temporary roof has been constructed to protect them from the rain. The famous Alhambra can be seen on the hill in the background.


View of the city block which the Mint occupied, at the foot of the Albaicin neighborhood, taken from the Alhambra hill. Two streets which border the Mint can be seen clearly: Carrera del Darro Street, which borders the River (foreground), and Bañuelo Street, for pedestrians only, which goes up the hill in the background (left). The beginning of Concepcion de Zafra Street, another uphill pedestrian street is on the right, and Portería de la Concepción Street runs from left to right at the middle of the photo.


Detail of the archaeological remains of the Mint, and the temporary roof which protects them.


Detail of the archaeological remains of the Mint.


Detail of the archaeological remains of the Mint.


View of Carrera del Darro Street and the Darro River, going up from the center of town towards the Mint, which is just after the second bridge on the left.


The city block which the Mint occupied (on the left and before the church) is immediately in front of the remains of the Moorish Cadi Bridge (right). In this area near the river, the Mint had several waterwheels to power its machinery beginning in 1661.


View of the back side of the city block which the Mint occupied, which extended from the beginning of Bañuelo Street, on the left, to the start of the church in the background. Since the main entrance to the Mint was on the opposite end of the block, it is most likely that this back section contained living quarters for officials and workers, as well as departments where the waterwheels were located.


Corner of the city block which the Mint occupied (right) at the beginning of Bañuelo Sreet (going up hill), and Carrera del Darro Street.


Corner of the city block which the Mint occupied at the beginning of Concepcion de Zafra Street (going uphill on the right), and Carrera del Darro Street (left). On the lower floor of this building today are bars, while the upper floors contain residences.


Corner of the city block which the Mint occupied (left) at the beginning of Concepcion de Zafra Street (going uphill ahead), and Carrera del Darro Street (left and right).


Concepcion de Zafra Street (looking downhill towards the river), with the Mint building on the right, and part of the Alhambra on the hill ahead.


Portería de la Concepcion Street (straight ahead) as seen from Bañuelos Street (right and left). The Placeta (or small plaza) de la Concepcion contains the trees, while the Monastery of la Concepcion is behind them on the left. The Mint building was on the right hand side of the street, and its main entrance looked onto the small plaza.


Portería de la Concepcion Street (ahead) at the corner of Concepción de Zafra Street. The entrance to the Mint was on the left hand side of the street, midway down the block where a few rays of sunshine are falling on the cobblestones.


FRIENDS OF THE SEGOVIA MINT ASSOCIATION  © 2009