The Mint building (outlined in yellow). GOOGLEmaps
The Mint in Cadiz was a provisional facility set up under emergency conditions with workers and machinery from the Segovia, Madrid and Seville Mints, during the French invasion, functioning from 1809 to 1815. This provisional Mint was founded in 1809, struck its first coin in 1810, and was dismanteled in 1815 after the French army abandoned Spain. The building was rehabilitated towards the end of the 90’s and is conserved in perfect condition. The modern offices and classrooms are of no interest to visitors. The patio may be visited during regular work hours.
West facade and entrance on Duque de Najera Avenue to the temporary Cadiz Mint, today School of Labor Relations of the University of Cadiz.
The Mint is directly adjacent on its south wall to the old Hospice of Santa Elena, or the House of Mercy, to which it belonged and formed a part of.
View of the north-west corner of the Mint, and its facade facing La Rosa Street, where the main entrance was located when coining took place from 1809 to 1815.
Detail of the north façade, facing La Rosa Street, and the door which served as the primary entrance during minting activities. Today this door is closed off and the inscription “San Acacio Provincial Home” is merely a testimony of past activities.
North-east corner of the mint, with the long façade on La Rosa Street (right), and the other on Jose Celestino Mutis Street, formerly Santa Elena Street (left).
Interior patio of the Mint, with part of the north wall of the old Hospice visible.
Plan dated 1830 of the north façade, facing La Rosa Street, of the building used as a provisional Mint from 1809 to 1815. (Foto: Glenn Murray, 2002. (Archivo Histórico Municipal de Cádiz, sign. 38.12)).
FRIENDS OF THE SEGOVIA MINT ASSOCIATION © 2009