GERMANY     Frohnau


The Mint functioned for a while at the Frohnauer Hammer,building (outlined in yellow),.  Another coining site was located on Münzgasse Street (underlined in red).                                         GOOGLEmaps

According to information posted at this site, during the first half of the 15th century a flour mill was constructed on the site. Later, starting in 1498, a mint functioned in the building.  After numerous vacancies and several conversions (as an oil mill, copper and silver hammer mill), the site was rebuilt as an iron processing plant from 1657 to 1660.  The hammer mill was built in its present form after a fire in 1692.  The necessary energy supply was guaranteed by using the water power of the mountain flow "Sehma".  A ditch and canal fed an overshot waterwheel with a capacity of 12 horsepower.

The "Frohnauer Hammer" is one of only a few hammer mills in Saxony that are completely functional and preserved in situ.  From the 17th to the 19th century, the hammer mill occupied a central position between the small village forges and the great iron works.  In 1907 it became the first technical monument in the Kingdom of Saxony and since 1908 it has been used to demonstrate the mode of action. Besides the hammer mill manor (built in 1697) and the folk art gallery (Volkskunstgalerie) are also part of today's museum.  The technical equipment includes two forge tables with bellows, three tail hammers as well as the necessary attachments for the power transmission. [information from sign posted at site].

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vty5lJKPuS0

 


Photo courtesy: Anja Borck.


Photo courtesy: Panoramio.


Photo courtesy: Panoramio.


Photo courtesy: Panoramio.

 

FRIENDS OF THE SEGOVIA MINT ASSOCIATION  © 2009