CZECH REP.     Cesky Krumlov


The two mint locations are outlined in yellow on the map, the oldest on the left, and the location of the new mint on the right.                                                                                                                                 GOOGLEmaps

The Cesky Krumlov Mint from 1642 to 1688,  was located in the lower portion of the passage way between two patio areas of the castle.  A new building was constructed from 1784 to 1701 specifically for the mint, but it was never put into operation.  

OLD MINT 1642-1688

Na grande sala abobadada da antiga casa da moeda, existe o depósito têxtil do Castelo Nacional e do Chateau de Ceský Krumlov.

Esta casa da moeda fundada por Jan Antonín of Eggenberg iniciou a sua produção em 1642. Estava localizada em apenas uma grande sala de estar no rés-do-chão do castelo superior. Táleres e mais tarde ducados e moedas de 3 kreuzers foram produzidas aqui utilizando cunhagem, rolos e outros tipos de maquinaria. O edifício original Renascentista do castelo superior incluindo a sala de cunhagem foi reconstruído no estilo Barroco durante 1682-1687. Esta casa da moeda aristocrática produziu moedas com várias interrupções pelo meio até 1688. Desde o princípio do século XVIII foi utilizada como sala de armazenamento, alojando agora um depósito de têxteis das colecções do castelo. A sala de cunhagem de moeda, que manteve a sua traça desde o século XVII, está fechada ao público. (euromint.net)

NEW MINT 1784-1701

National castle and chateau (ticket office, conference rooms, apartments)

Having taken over the Ceský Krumlov demesne in 1661, Jan Kristián of Eggenberg decided to build a new separate mint building in the second courtyard (in the area of the lower castle). The one-wing Baroque building was constructed under direction of Jacob de Maggi during 1684-1701. However, only a year after the new mint building was completed, a new imperial law came in force banning the production of small denomination coins – for this reason the second mint has never been put into operation. After a fire in 1728, the building was reconstructed, raised by one floor and thus acquired its present appearance. There were offices of the demesne administration on the ground floor, demesne archives on underground floors and flats on the first floor. Nowadays, the building houses the ticket office (open to public), conference rooms (open at certain events) and flats (closed to public). (euromint.net).


View of Cesky Krumlov, looking north from the nearby hills.


Detail of the above view in which the new mint building (yellow) can
clearly be seen, with the remainder of the castle extending towards the left.


The entrance to the old mint was in this archway between the two patios.


View of the new mint building (yellow) with the Vltava River below.


View of the new mint building (yellow) with the Vltava River below.


View of the northern facade of the new mint building, on the inside courtyard.

 

FRIENDS OF THE SEGOVIA MINT ASSOCIATION  © 2009